Chinese motherwort, known as yi-mu-cao, and the common European motherwort serve as excellent examples of plants used for parallel purposes by divergent cultures, whose uses are confirmed by modern research. Motherwort herb regulates the menses, promotes blood circulation, stimulates the development of new tissue, is diuretic, and reduces swelling. The seeds promote blood circulation, regulate the menses, and clear away liver heat from the eyes. In TCM motherwort was used to promote longevity and strengthen the heart, Science endorses motherwort's folk applications against heart-related conditions. This fascinating but still little-appreciated member of the mint family deserves greater attention in the West.
1. For treatment of irregular menstruation caused by stasis in the blood division of women, dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea, postpartum abdominal pain due to blood stasis and qi stagnation, etc.
2. For treatment of edema, difficulty in urination with stagnant heat.
3. It can also be used to treat skin sore and carbuncle caused by noxious heat, by its effect of clearing away heat and toxins.
4. It has the function of strengthening immune system and antibacterial.
5. Anti-inflammatory and whitening, anti-aging.
1. Applied in pharmaceutical field.
2. Applied in health care products field.
3. Applied in cosmetic field.