Quercetin is a potent antioxadant and has anti-inflammatory activity, protecting cellular structures and blood vessels from the damading effects of free radicale. It improves blood vessel strength. Quercetin inhibits the activity of catechol-O-methyltransferase that breaks down the neurotransmitter norepinephrine. This effect may lead to elevate thelevels of norepinephrine and an increase in energy expenditure and fat oxidation. It also means quercetin acts as an antihistamine leading to the relief of allergies and asthma. As an antioxidant, it reduces LDL cholesterol and offers protection from heart diaease.
1. Quercetin may expel phlegm and arrest coughing, it can also be used as anti-asthmatic.
2. Quercetin has anticancer activity, inhibits PI3-kinase activity and slightly inhibits PIP Kinase activity, reduces cancer cell growth via type II estrogen receptors.
3. Quercetin may inhibit histamine release from basophils and mast cells.
4. Quercetin may control the spread of certain viruses within the body.
5. Quercetin may help reduce tissue destruction.
6. Quercetin may also be beneficial in the treatment of dysentery, gout, and psoriasis.
1. Applied in pharmaceutical field, it is usually made into tablets, capsule and granule to warm the kidney, strengthen the spleen and enhance human immunity;
2. Applied in food field, it is mainly used in kinds of beverage, liquor and foods to enhance human immunity and anti-aging.